Monday, May 10, 2010

A Cold Drink

Winter is finally gone. Here comes summer. Yep, I know I skipped spring. I don't think I have spring at my house. It went from freezing at night and having to bring my plants in each evening so they don't die- to full blown HOT in less than a week. The weather around here is getting pretty hot and dry. In some ways it's nice. The grass started growing again. My little seedlings can stay outside all the time now. The kids don't have to remember a jacket. But there are always yucky things, too. The most annoying is that it always takes about a week for my sinuses to get used to the sudden change in weather. For a few days I get lovely surprise nosebleeds. The just start out of nowhere. Ick.

Well, at least I've learned that if I stay hydrated that it helps it happen a little less. So, the other day I was driving and doing errands on a particularly hot day and started getting that dried out feeling. Uh Oh! I needed something to drink before I became an erupting volcano.

Have you ever gone to the drivethru and had them give you a drink, but no straw? I hate it when that happens. Of course I think "no problem, I don't use a straw at home. I'll just drink like normal." Well, normally I don't drink from a cup that huge. Have you ever tried to drink from a giant cup and drive at the same time? The cup is so big that all you can see is the inside of the cup. So I tried drinking sort of off to the side. Hmmmm.... not really working. So I just sort of slurp it and then quick chug a bunch at the next stoplight. That seems to be OK.

You know in the movies when a dam breaks there is always this creaking sound, then a little crack, then a big crack with some spraying water. Finally the dam crumbles and water bursts forth. I'm not sure that's the way it happens in real life. It's not the way it happened in my cup.

I didn't pay attention to the fact that the ice had formed a nice little dam in my cup. No creaking. No little crack to warn me. Just a very sudden sticky shower with ice up my nose, down my shirt, and a very wet lap. Most of all a waste of $2! Grrrrrrr!

So next time I clean out my car, instead of throwing it out, I'm going to stash a straw in my glove box for the next time I really need a cold drink and some poor kid forgets to hand me one in the drivethru. I wonder if I can fit a roll of paper towels in there, too?

No comments:

Post a Comment